Tuesday, April 22, 2014

J's Sweet 'n Savory Spinach Salad

Greetings once again, dear Readers,

Just sharing today's most enjoyable luncheon delight with you all.

This recipe is not exactly renal diet-friendly, but, as my Nephrologist says almost every time I see him these days, "You can relaaaaax on the potassium restriction some."  Soooo, this is me relaxing with of one of my all time favo salad treats and I hope you all dig it as much as I do.  P too.  ;)

This pic is of his plate, which had considerably more feta content than mine did.  More cranberries too.  I kept mine as low sodium/potassium as possible.

J's Sweet 'n Savory Spinach Salad
-230 grams of nice and crisp raw spinach
-2 cloves of finely minced garlic
-1 onion, cut into thin rings, sauteed in a lil olive oil and set to cool.
-2 tbsp's of extra virgin olive oil, (aka EVOO)
-1.5 tbsp's of crumbled feta
-Juice from 1/2 a lemon.
-A small handful of chopped, dried cranberries, (these kind are sweetened a bit, which goes wonderfully with the feta.)
-A small handful of crushed walnuts.
-Fresh ground pepper to taste.

Serves 2.

For people not on sodium or potassium-restricted diets, I highly suggest topping the plate with another crumble of feta and some whole cranberries, which not only add to the flavorful experience, but looks real purdy too.

(I added more lemon to mine at the table.  The pic above was of P's plate.) 

Lemon is my new salt.  ;)

I used to make these often as starter salads, back in the days when I was able to entertain and cook all day for it and it was GREAT to taste a bit of those old times again.

Bon ap and as usual bon viiiibes,

: J

No comments: